Pawscessories is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
It’s no secret that dogs love to eat just about anything they can get their paws on.
Dogs constantly sniff around, licking things, and trying to eat something they probably shouldn’t.
So what about flies? Can dogs eat flies? Is it safe for them to do so?
Yes, dogs can eat flies. They offer no nutritional value but are safe for dogs to eat. Problems only arise if your dog eats many flies exposed to harmful chemicals or parasites, but this is rare. In addition, flies that sting could harm your dog by biting the inside of their mouth.
In this article, you’ll discover:
- Why eating flies is usually safe for dogs
- The potential dangers of dogs eating flies
- How to stop your dog from chasing flies and eating them
- Frequently asked questions about dogs eating flies
Let’s dive in.
Can Dogs Eat Flies?
So, what if a dog eats a fly? Is this a big deal or cause for concern?
No, dogs can eat flies. They pose no threat to dogs and are safe for them to eat.
In fact, some dogs enjoy eating flies and see them as a fun toy to chase around and hunt.
While there is no nutritional value in flies for dogs, they won’t suffer any ill effects from eating them.
The primary benefit flies give your dogs is entertainment! Many enjoy the “thrill of the chase,” even when it’s a tiny insect-like fly.
Do Dogs Get Sick If They Eat Flies?
If your dog eats a fly or two, it’s unlikely they will experience any negative repercussions.
For a dog to get sick from eating flies, they would need to consume a large number of them.
And since they offer no nutritional value, a dog will not likely eat that many flies.
The main concern with dogs eating flies is if the fly has been exposed to any harmful chemicals like pesticides or if they contain any parasites.
Pesticides can be found in fruits, vegetables, and other plant life. However, if your dog eats a fly exposed to pesticides, they’re still not likely to get sick.
The amount of pesticide needed to make a dog sick is much higher than what would be found on a fly.
If we look at the dangers of flies carrying parasites, this is a little more likely (mind you, it’s still rare).
Parasites usually come from feces and other composting materials. Since flies tend to hang out around these types of things, it’s no surprise they could pick up parasites from them.
Even so, most of the parasite a fly could pick up is unlikely to pass over to your dog. This is because most dogs are immunized against most parasites out there.
However, it could still happen, especially for dogs that love eating flies or dogs that need a booster shot.
If you’re ever concerned about your dog eating certain flies, it’s always safest to contact your veterinarian for more information.
Can Certain Flies Make A Dog Sick?
Most household flies like the common housefly, cluster fly, fruit fly, and drain fly are not poisonous to dogs.
Thus, the same rules apply to these types of flies as the others – eating a few here, and there will not make your dog sick.
It’s when they consume large numbers of flies that problems can occur.
As we mentioned before, if the fly has been exposed to harmful chemicals or parasites, it could be passed on to your dog and make them sick.
Now, if we look at flies that bite or sting (e.g., horse flies), these could pose a risk for your dog.
Since these types of flies can “bite back,” they could harm your dog by biting the inside of their mouth or throat.
This could lead to swelling, breathing restrictions, and pain.
This could make your dog relatively sick and should not be taken lightly.
Can Flies Hurt A Dog?
As mentioned, flies can only physically hurt your dog if they bite or sting.
The only other way is if they pass on a parasite or toxic chemical (which is very rare and requires a large consumption of flies).
Other than that, they are not harmful to dogs and pose no threat.
Biting flies, however, can cause a lot of pain and discomfort for your dog.
It’s important to watch for any signs of distress if you think your dog has been bitten by a fly.
Signs can include:
- Excessive drooling or foaming at the mouth
- Pawing at the face or head
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of the lips, tongue, or throat
If you notice any of these signs, contact your veterinarian right away.
Why Is My Dog Obsessed With Flies?
One of the most common questions people ask is, “why is my dog obsessed with flies?”
The answer to this question can be tricky as it can differ from dog to dog.
For some, it’s simply the thrill of the chase. They enjoy trying to catch something so small and elusive.
It can also be a way for your dog to relieve boredom or get some exercise.
If your dog is fixated on flies and won’t leave them alone, the best thing you can do is provide them with an alternate source of entertainment.
This could be in the form of a toy, puzzle, dog ball launcher, or even another pet to play with.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Can Flies Give Dogs Worms?
It’s improbable that a fly will give your dog worms.
As we mentioned before, most dogs are immunized against parasites and worms.
The only way your dog could get worms from a fly is if the fly was carrying the larvae, which is rare.
My Dog Ate A Bluebottle Fly
There is no need to be concerned if your dog ate a bluebottle fly.
These types of flies are not poisonous and pose no threat to your dog’s health.
Are Drain Flies Harmful To Dogs?
No, drain flies are not harmful to dogs.
However, if your dog consumes a large number of them, they could get an upset stomach.
Other posts you might find interesting: