Pawscessories is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
Quick Access To The Best Probiotics For Dogs👇
|Our Vets Top Pick||Purina FortiFlora Probiotics for Dogs|
|Best Runner Up||Zesty Paws Probiotic for Dogs|
|Best Budget||Pet Naturals Probiotic Chews for Dogs|
Dogs are susceptible to various illnesses and health problems, just like humans.
Too often, pet owners come to our family’s clinic with a dog with digestive issues or food allergies.
In fact, my dog Enzo had this very problem. So after doing research, speaking with Dr. David Littlejohn, and testing a few products with Enzo, I decided to create a list of the best probiotics for dogs.
Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that help keep the digestive system functioning correctly.
They can also boost the immune system and help fight off infection.
This article will discuss the 7 best probiotics to help with a dog’s stomach health!
What Is The Best Probiotic For Dogs?
Here are my top picks for the best probiotics for dogs:
- Purina FortiFlora Probiotics for Dogs
- Zesty Paws Probiotic for Dogs
- NUSENTIA Miracle Dog Probiotic
- Nutramax Proviable Health Supplement for Dogs
- Pet Naturals Probiotic Chews for Dogs
- NaturVet Advanced Probiotics & Enzymes
- PetHonesty Digestive Probiotics
Our Vets Top Pick
Purina FortiFlora Probiotics is the #1 recommended probiotic by vets. The health benefits can make a massive difference in your dog’s gut.
It contains live (viable) bacteria cultures that promote intestinal health and digestion in your pet dog’s gut.
It also helps reduce flatulence (gas) and helps pets suffering from diarrhea or sensitive stomachs.
Plus, it’s liver flavor which dogs love so it’s easy to get your dog to eat – just sprinkle it on top of their food!
- Science-backed and the #1 vet-recommended probiotic
- Helps reduce flatulence (the accumulation of gas)
- Helps pets suffering from diarrhea or sensitive stomachs
- Promotes healthy immune function
- Improves intestinal health and digestion
- It’s liver flavor that dogs love
- Easy to use powder you just sprinkle on top of dog food
- Guaranteed to contain live (viable) cultures of bacteria
Animal Digest, Enterococcus Faecium, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Brewers Dried Yeast, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Proteinate, Beta-Carotene, Salt, Manganese Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite
There are a few pricing options depending on how many packets you want to purchase.
The 1 pack contains 30 sachets and is $30.99 on amazon.
There’s also a 45 sachet option for $44.99 and a 90 sachets option for $80.99.
Use 1 packet per day. Simply sprinkle the powder over your dog’s food.
Zesty Paws Probiotic bites contain a clinically studied ingredient (DE111) that’s proven to support a dog’s gut health and immune system function in dogs.
You’ll love that this probiotic is a chewable treat that comes in three delicious flavors – pumpkin, bison, and chicken. So your dog will have no problem chowing down on these.
They’ve also made sure there’s no artificial flavors, preservatives or synthetic colors added to any of their products.
ZestyPaws backs their products with an 100% satisfaction guarantee and all their products have the NASC (national animal supplement council) quality seal.
- Clinically studied ingredient to support gut health, flora and immune system function
- They have an 100% satisfaction guarantee
- ZestyPaws is part of the NASC giving their products a seal of quality you can trust
- No artificial flavors, preservatives, or synthetic colors.
- 3 tasty flavors (pumpkin, bison, chicken)
- Chewable treat that dogs love to eat
Psyllium husk, six-strain probiotic blend (de111 bacillus subtilis, lactobacillus acidophilus, l. plantarum, l. brevis, l. fermentum, l. lactis), gut health blend (papain, bromelain), amaranth flour, coconut glycerin, dried vinegar, flaxseed oil, microcrystalline cellulose, millet flour, mixed tocopherols, natural flavors, pumpkin, quinoa flour, red palm oil , sorghum flour, sunflower lecithin
The price is listed on amazon for $26.97 for all 3 flavors each containing 90 chews.
How many soft chews your dog will need daily depend on their size. Up to 25lbs = 1 chew, 26-75lbs = 2 chews, over 75lbs = 3 Chews.
NUSENTIA Miracle Dog Probiotics have been around for 12 years and has found their way to the top as one of the leaders for dog probiotics.
This probiotic for dogs contains 360 billion CFU (colony forming units) per jar.
These good bacteria can reduce bad breath, body odor, and gas.
It also helps improve a dog’s immune system, skin and gut health.
Not only will your dog smell better but they will look and feel better too!
This is a great option for dogs with diarrhea or constipation.
- Science backed and vet-recommended
- No fillers, dairy, grain or animal by products
- Reduces bad breath, body odor, and gas
- Improves dogs skin and coat
- Improves digestive and immune health
- Combats diarrhea, constipation, and yeast overgrowth
Bifidobacterium animalis lactis, lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus rhamnosus, lactobacillus salivarius, lactobacillus plantarum, lactobacillus reuteri, inulin (prebiotic), stearic acid
This product is listed on amazon for $39.95 and comes with 360 scoops per jar.
Dogs under 50 pounds require 1 scoop, dogs over 50 pounds require 2 scoops.
Next on our list of probiotics for dogs is the Nutramax’s Proviable Digestive Supplement.
A healthy gut means a healthy dog, and that’s where Proviable Health comes in.
This supplement contains 7 strains of beneficial bacteria to increase the chances of colonization, as well as 2 prebiotics to help growth of the beneficial probiotic microorganisms.
Plus, it comes in an easy-to-give form – simply sprinkle the contents onto your dog’s food!
Give your furry friend the best chance at a long and happy life by providing them with Proviable Health.
With 5 billion CFU’s per capsule, this supplement is sure to make a difference in your pup’s gut health.
- Contain 7 strains of beneficial bacterial to increase chances of colonization (the goal of probiotics)
- Improves gut health and immune system
- Includes 2 prebiotics to help growth of beneficial bacteria
- Contain 5 billion CFU’s per capsule
- Easy to give your dog probiotics by simply sprinkling it onto their food
Fructooligosaccharide, gum arabic, maltodextrin, enterococcus faecium, bifidobacterium bifidum, gelatin, enterococcus thermophilus, lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus bulgaricus, lactobacillus casei, lactobacillus plantarum, magnesium stearate, ascorbic acid, titanium dioxide
This product is listed on chewy for $19.99 and contains 30 blister packed capsules. There’s also 60, 80, and 160 capsule packs.
The daily dose is 1 capsule (regardless of dog size).
Pet Naturals Chews are a great way to support your dog’s immune system and digestive health.
They’re made with pure, potent ingredients and include prebiotics.
This helps reduce flatulence, bad breath, diarrhea, and digestive health. Plus, they’re irresistible duck flavor makes feeding them to your dog super easy.
Not only do these probiotic chews help keep your dog healthy but they’re also good for all life stages – from puppies to adults to seniors.
- Support digestive health and immune functions
- Prebiotics included
- Naturally formulated with pure and potent ingredients
- Helps reduce flatulence (gas), bad breath, diarrhea, and constipation
- These duck flavored chews are irresistible making feeding them to your dog easy
- Good for all life stages (puppy, adult, or senior)
Maltodextrin, soy lecithin, oat flour, barley flour, rice flour, rye flour, oat meal, natural duck flavor, brewers dried yeast, canola oil, glycerin, amylase (from aspergillus oryzae), protease (from aspergillus oryzae), dried bacillus coagulans fermentation product, lipase (from aspergillus niger), cellulase (from trichoderma reesei), lactase (from aspergillus oryzae), hemicellulase (from trichoderma reesei), bromelain (from ananas comusus), papain (from carcica papya), propionic acid (a preservative), mixed tocopherols (a preservative), aloe vera gel concentrate, sodium alginate, calcium sulfate.
Price is listed for $9.00 on chewy for 60 chews. You can also get the 160 chews for $15.25.
1 chew per 25 pounds of body weight.
Dogs with sensitive stomachs need probiotics and enzymes to help them break down food and travel through the GI tract.
NaturVet Advanced Probiotics for dogs comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee and contains live (viable) naturally occurring microorganisms. It’s veterinarian formulated and recommended.
Your dog will love the taste of these soft chews, or you can give them the powder form which is wheat-free.
With 1 billion bacillus subtilis PB6 probiotic, they’ll get all the enzymes they need to help break down proteins, cellulose, and triglycerides in the dog’s digestive system.
- Wheat free
- Contains live (viable) naturally occurring microorganisms
- Veterinarian formulated and recommended
- Comes with 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Helps enable bacteria to travel through GI tract for optimal stomach & intestinal balance
- Great for dogs with sensitive stomach
- Comes in powder or soft chews
- Comes with 1 billion bacillus subtilis PB6 probiotic
- Digestive enzymes that help break down proteins, cellulose, and triglycerides (aiding digestion)
- They’re an FDA and NASC audited manufacturing facility
Brewers dried yeast, glycerin, dried potato product, flaxseed, lecithin, canola oil, calcium sulfate, dried aspergillus oryzae, dried aspergillus niger fermentation solubles, dried trichoderma longibrachiatum, papaya, dried bacillus coagulans, fructooligosaccharides, natural flavoring, water, maltodextrin, tapioca starch, sorbic acid (a preservative).
This product is listed on amazon for $17.99 and comes in a pack with 70 chews.
1 chew for dogs up to 20 pounds, 2chews for dogs 21 to 40 pounds, 3 chews for dogs 41 to 80 pounds, and 4 chews for dogs over 80 pounds.
Your dog’s digestive tract needs to be protected! That’s where this next probiotic supplement comes in.
PetHonesty Digestive Probiotics have health benefits that help reduce gas, diarrhea, and constipation in your dog’s gut.
Not only does our probiotic help keep your dog’s digestion on track – but it also supports bowel health and contains 6 billion colony forming units (CFU) of probiotics. Plus, it comes in a delicious duck flavor that dogs love!
- Contains 6 billion colony forming units (CFU) probiotics
- No GMOs, wheat, corn, harsh preservatives, or soy.
- Supports proper digestion and bowel health
- Made with natural duck flavor and pumpkin that dogs love
- Helps reduce gas, diarrhea, and constipation
- NASC certified to ensure the highest quality
Oat flour, palm fruit oil, rice flour, sweet potato, carrot, natural duck flavoring, brown rice syrup, flaxseed, sunflower lecithin, cellulose powder, coconut glycerin, sorbic acid, rosemary extract, mixed tocopherols.
This product is listed on chewy for $26.99 and comes with 90 chews.
1 chew for dogs up to 25 pounds, 2 chews for dogs 26 to 75 pounds, 3 chews for dogs over 75 pounds.
What Is a Probiotic?
Probiotics are live microorganisms, typically bacteria, which in simple terms are just the good bugs that naturally live in your dog’s digestive system.
When given probiotics they can help maintain a healthy balance of gut bacteria and support your dog’s overall health.
There are many different types of probiotics available for dogs, and they come in a variety of forms including powders, tablets, capsules, liquids and treats.
Probiotics can also be found in some commercial pet foods.
What Is The Best Probiotic For Digestive Health?
The best probiotic for dogs is the Purina FortiFlora Probiotics. This is the #1 recommended probiotics by veterinarians for a reason.
The Purina FortiFlora Probiotics contain live microorganisms that can help maintain a healthy balance of gut bacteria and support your dog’s overall health.
This probiotic comes in a powder and can be sprinkled on your dog’s food once a day.
How To Choose The Right Dog Probiotics?
When choosing a probiotic for your dog, it is important to select one that contains live (viable) cultures of bacteria that have been shown to be effective in dogs.
Without science based data showing effective results in dogs, it is impossible to know if a probiotic will actually work for your dog.
That’s why its important to select probiotics that are tested and researched thoroughly.
Additionally, the number of live bacteria cultures in a probiotic is important to consider. A minimum of one billion CFUs (colony forming units) per dose is recommended, but more may be needed for some dogs.
Important Note: Probiotics are safe for most dogs, but as with any supplement, it’s always best to speak with your veterinarian first.
What Are The Benefits Of Probiotics For Dogs?
There are many potential benefits of giving probiotics to dogs. Some of the most well researched and documented benefits include:
- Supporting a healthy digestive system
- Reducing diarrhea and vomiting
- Boosting a dog’s immune system
- Reducing allergies and skin problems
- Reducing stress and anxiety levels
There are many different health problems that have been associated with an imbalance of gut bacteria. By giving your dog probiotics, you can help support their overall health by maintaining a healthy balance of gut bacteria.
What Are The Best Probiotic Ingredients For Dogs?
There are many different types of probiotics available, and they come in a variety of forms including powders, tablets, capsules, liquids and treats.
The best probiotic ingredients for dogs are live (viable) cultures of bacteria that have been shown to be effective in dogs.
Some of the most common and effective strains of bacteria include:
- Lactobacillus reuteri
- Pediococcus acidilactici
- Enterococcus faecium (strain SF68)
- Lactobacillus acidophilus
- Bifidobacterium animalis (strain AHC7)
- Lactobacillus fermentum
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus (strain LGG)
- Saccharomyces boulardii
- Pediococcus acidilactici
- Bacillus coagulans
- Bifidobacterium bifidum
- Bifidobacterium longum (BL999)
- Lactobacillus casei
- Lactobacillus plantarum
Other ingredients may also be included in some probiotic supplements, such as prebiotics.
Prebiotics are a type of indigestible fiber that acts as food for the probiotics.
Some common prebiotic ingredients include:
- Fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS)
- Galacto-oligosaccharides (MOS)
- Chicory Fiber
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Can puppies take probiotics?
Yes, puppies can take probiotics. In fact, giving probiotics to puppies can help reduce the risk of developing allergies and aid in digestion.
Can dogs take human probiotics?
No, dogs should not take human probiotics. Human probiotics are not formulated for dogs and may contain ingredients that are toxic to dogs.
Are there natural probiotics for dogs?
Yes, there are natural probiotics for dogs. Probiotics can be found in some commercial pet foods, as well as in fermented foods such as yogurt and kefir.
Other posts you might find interesting: