Pawscessories is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
Quick Access To The Best Smart Dog Collars👇
|Best Overall||Halo Smart Collar|
|Best Runner Up||Fi Smart Dog Collar|
|Best Budget||Fitbark GPS & Health Tracker|
Dogs are a human’s best friend, and for most of us pet parents, our dog’s a member of the family. That’s why it’s important to make sure our furry friends are taken care of in the best way possible.
One way to do that is by using a smart dog collar. These devices offer a variety of features that can help us keep track of our dogs’ location and health.
In this article, we will be discussing the 7 best smart dog collars on the market as well as their key features, pros, cons and prices.
So, if you’re looking for a way to keep your dog healthy and safe, keep reading!
What Are Smart Dog Collars?
A smart dog collar is a device that is worn around your dog’s neck and offers a variety of features, such as GPS tracking, activity monitoring, and even Barking alerts.
These devices have become increasingly popular in recent years as they offer pet owners peace of mind knowing that their furry friend is always safe and sound.
A smart dog collar works by connecting to a cellular network. This allows them to have cellular coverage to track your dogs location.
It also allows them to send information back to your phone.
What Is The Best Smart Dog Collar?
Here are my top picks for the best smart dog collars:
- Halo Smart Collar
- Fi Smart Dog Collar
- Fitbark GPS & Health Tracker
- Whistle Health & GPS Dog Collar
- Tractive LTE Dog Tracker
- Pet Pace Smart Collar
- Invoxia Biometric Health Collar
The Halo Smart Collar is our #1 pick for the best smart dog collars and for good reason!
This device is packed with features that can replace virtual fences / invisible fences, GPS tracker, activity tracker, & training collar. That way you can keep track of your dog anytime.
It’s an all-in-one dog collar that can do it all and comes with expert training from Cesar Millan.
That way you know exactly how to use this smart collar to keep your dog safe and healthy.
The halo collar is in a league of its own compared to other smart collars. This is a top-of-the-line fitness tracker and GPS tracker.
Plus the fact that it can be used to make up to 20 wireless dog fences is just an added perk.
When looking at all the best smart collars this had everything and more!
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Replaces electric / invisible fences
- Create up to 20 wireless fences indoors or outdoors
- Real time location tracking, activity monitoring, and notifications
- 21 day training program with Cesar Millan
- Waterproof collar
- Collar mode can turn on LED light with customizable color for nighttime-visibility
- Battery lasts 10-14 hours on a single charge
- Half the price of inground wired fences and completely replaces them
- Self updating software so you always have newest features
- Training comes with this collar (from Cesar Millan)
- Fully waterproof
- 100% satisfaction guarantee or you get your money back
- Its pricey
- Requires a subscription
- Need to charge the collar every night
The Halo 2 Smart collar is $699 full price or you can use Affirm to make monthly payments of $64.
There is also a monthly subscription that comes in 1 of 3 packages depending on your needs. This is because each device operates as its own cellular device, so they need to establish internet lines for each smart dog collar.
- Basic Plan: $4.49 / month
- Silver Plan: $9.99 / month
- Gold Plan: $29.99 / month
When you buy the smart collar it comes with a free 30 day trial of the gold plan.
The Fi Smart Dog Collar is one of the best GPS dog collars on the market and comes with a lot of features that other collars don’t have.
One feature that we really like is the “safety zone” feature which allows you to create a geo fenced area for your dog.
If your dog leaves this designated area, you will be immediately notified so you can take action.
Another great feature is the “virtual leash” which allows you to set a distance that your dog can wander from you before getting a notification.
This is great for when you’re out on a hike and want to give your dog some freedom to explore, but still stay within a certain distance.
The Fi Collar also has a fitness tracker to show you their daily steps and sleep quality.
Overall this is by far one of the best smart dog collars online today and its GPS technology is one of the best.
- 1 year warranty
- Safety zone – creates virtual fences
- Virtual leash mode – set a distance dog’s can wander off
- Real time GPS, activity & health tracking, and escape detection
- 4 colors (yellow, gray, blue, and pink)
- Fi collar connects directly to wifi or bluetooth
- Battery life can last up to 3 months
- LED light built in for nighttime visibility
- Battery life
- Fully waterproof and chew-proof
- Detailed information about sleep and activity
- When in “lost dog” mode it refreshes every 1 minute (high GPS accuracy)
- Ability to create safety zones and virtual leashes
- Requires a subscription for main tracking features (not required though)
- No static corrections so it will not help contain or train your dog to stay in an area
- Yearly subscriptions only
Fi Collar is $149 full price or you can use paypal credit to make monthly payments of $25 for 6 months.
In addition you will require a monthly subscription that comes in 3 plans depending on your preference. This is because each device operates as its own cellular device, so they need to establish AT&T lines for each smart dog collar.
- 1 Year Plan: $1.89 / week ($99 / year)
- 2 Year Plan: $1.79 / week ($186 / year)
- 3 Year Plan: $1.59 / week ($248 / year)
When you buy the Fi smart collar it comes with a free 30 day trial.
Next up is the Fitbark GPS & Health Tracker.
This smart dog collar not only has some fantastic features but researchers around the world trust Fitbarks health data.
over 100 universities use this including the Mayo Clinic.
Fitbark stands out with its unique monitoring of your dog’s health.
You can see their activity level, calories burned, distance traveled, and sleep quality. That way you know your dog’s daily activity.
Plus, using this information Fitbark is able to give you health updates about anxiety, skin disease, and mobility.
All of this information is displayed in an easy to read graph on a phone app.
- 1 year warranty with 30 day money back guarantee
- Links to apple watch, google fit, fitbit, or healthkit
- Up to 10-20 days of battery life
- Monitors your dogs daily activity, sleep and whereabouts 24/7
- Monitors mobility, skin disease, and anxiety through changes in behavior and sleep habits
- Waterproof design made with light and durable material
- Wifi safe place entry/exit alerts
- Trusted by researchers around the world for its accuracy
- Monitors anxiety, skin disease, and mobility
- Decently Long battery life
- 1 year warranty & 30 day money back guarantee
- Easy to use app interface
- US only for the GPS (International orders can only receive Fitbark 2 with no location tracking)
- Subscription pricing for the GPS model
The Fitbark GPS smart collar is $99.95 plus a subscription. If you do not require the GPS you can also pay for the Fitbark 2 which is a one time fee of $69.95.
The monthly subscription that comes with the GPS model has 4 options depending on your preference. This is because each device operates as its own cellular device, so they need to establish internet lines for each smart collar.
- Monthly: 9.95 / month
- 1 Year Plan: $7.95 / month (Save 20%)
- 2 Year Plan: $6.95 / month (Save 30%)
- 3 Year Plan: $5.95 / month (Save 40%)
Next up is the Whistle Health & GPS+ Dog Collar.
This collar tracks your dog’s activity, sleeping, and eating habits to create an overall wellness score.
Plus, it notifies you of vet visits, grooming appointments, and more. You can even set up reminders so you never forget to give your pup their medication again!
With a waterproof design and 1 year warranty, this collar is perfect for any pet parent.
Plus, the free ask of a vet service means that you can always get expert advice when it comes to your pup’s health.
You can get peace of mind knowing that your pup is always being taken care of with Whistle Health & GPS+ Dog Collar.
However, it definitely comes at a price.
- 90 days money-back guarantee
- Wifi required, uses AT&T’s 4G LTE-M cellular network (US and Canada only)
- App works on iPhone apple iOS 14.0 or later and Android v8.0 or later
- App updates location every 15 seconds
- Tracks scratching, licking, drinking, sleeping, and eating
- Notification reminders for vet visits, grooming, meds, and more
- Waterproof collar
- Come with a free ask a vet service
- 90 day money back guarantee
- Free ask a vet service is included
- Unique health data with its overall wellness score
- Fastest locations updating time
- Waterproof collar
- US and Canada only
- Subscriptions needed for all models
- Don’t love the collar design
The Whistle Heath & GPS+ smart collar is $179.95 plus a subscription.
If you do not require all the features of this smart collar you can opt for 1 of the other 2 models. They are cheaper overall but still require a subscription.
The monthly subscription that comes with the health & GPS+ model has 3 options depending on your preference.
- Monthly: 12.99 / month
- 1 Year Plan: $8.25 / month ($199 / year)
- 2 Year Plan: $8.00 / month ($192 / year)
Next up is the cheapest smart collar on my list, the Tractive LTE Tracker.
This device attaches to your dog’s collar and sends real-time updates of their location every 2-3 seconds, so you always know where they are.
You can even create a safe area for them and get alerted when they exit it.
The integrated activity tracker also monitors your dog’s fitness, so you can make sure they’re getting enough exercise.
And if you need to manage any features of the device, no problem! Tractive has an iOS and Android app that lets you do just that.
Plus, with unlimited range you’ll never have to worry about losing your furry friend again.
- Real-time location tracking with history (2-3 seconds updates)
- Create a safe area and get alerted when your pup exits
- Integrated activity tracker to monitor their fitness
- Manage all features via iOS, Android or any other browser
- Unlimited range wherever you are (uses AT&T, verizon, T-Mobile, and Viaero Wireless USA)
- 94 hour battery life
- International use so long as you have phone signal and google maps
- Cheapest amongst all smart collars
- Bad customer service
- No refunds on subscription
- Need a decent signal for it to function
- Not the greatest battery life
The Tractive smart collar is $49.99 plus a subscription.
The monthly subscription that comes with the GPS model has 3 options depending on your preference. This is because each device operates as its own cellular device, so they need to establish internet lines for each smart collar.
- Monthly: 12 / month
- 1 Year Plan: $7 / month ($84 / year)
- 2 Year Plan: $5 / month ($60 / year)
There’s a 30 day money back guarantee but after that there’s no refund on the subscriptions.
So make sure you test out the monthly plan before committing the year fee.
Second last on our list is the Pet Pace Smart Collar!
This Smart Collar tracks your dog’s vital signs and behavior patterns, so you can relax knowing that they’re always safe.
Although it doesn’t have location tracking it’s advanced health tracking enables you and your vet to see your dog’s vitals.
Plus, they offer a free web session with a veterinary expert to give you peace of mind that everything is okay – even if you’re miles away.
- 1 year warranty and 30 day money back guarantee
- Able to send the health data to your vet
- Only tracks up to 1000 yards
- Single push-button interface
- Water resistance
- 3 weeks of battery
- Adjustable strap that’s available in 3 sizes
- Designed for dogs over 8 lbs
- Monitors your dog ’s vital signs and behavior patterns
- It tracks temperature, activity, pulse, respiration, position, calories consumed and burned, and heart rate variation
- Web session with veterinary expert
- Ideal for sick or at risk dogs (since it can send data to your vet indicating a problem)
- Health monitoring covered with purchase for 4 years
- Activity tracking
- 30 day money back guaranteed
- Only for health tracking
- Bulky collar design
- no GPS tracking
- Forced to pay a 4 year subscriptions
The Pet Pace smart collar is $349.95.
This price includes 4 years of health monitoring. Afterwards to keep monitoring your dog’s health it’s an additional 249.95 every 4 years if you wish to continue.
There’s a 30 day money back guarantee but after that there’s no refund on anything.
This next smart dog collar is a bonus one I had to add.
It’s releasing in the fall of 2022 and looks to be an innovative technology for smart dog collars.
It is specifically designed for medium to large dogs and includes real time GPS tracking, location history, escape alerts, proximity radar and ringer, and of course health tracking.
Not only will it track your dogs sleep, and activity but it also tracks heart rate, respiratory rate and certain behaviors.
No smart collars on the market can do this so this was a must to include on my list.
- Respiratory and heart rate monitoring
- Activity, sleep, barking, and scratching monitoring
- Real-time GPS tracking (know your dog’s location always)
- Several weeks of battery life
- Meal & play time tracking
Will be updated when the product is released.
Will be updated when the product is released.
Unknown at this point until release day.
Other posts you might find interesting: