Pawscessories is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
If you’re wondering if dachshunds can eat grapes, you’ve come to the right place!
Grapes are at the top of the list for fruits to keep away from dachshunds. Grapes are extremely toxic to dogs and should be kept away from them at all times.
There are times when your dog may get their hands on a grape or raisin and it’s crucial you know exactly what needs to be done to keep them safe and out of harm’s way.
This article will show you:
- The dangers that come from your dachshund eating grapes
- How many grapes it takes to make a dachshund sick
- Grape toxicity signs, symptoms, and preventative measures
- What to do if your dachshund eats a grape to keep them safe
And much more…
Can Dachshunds Eat Grapes?
Dachshunds should never eat grapes (or raisins, which are just dried grapes). Grapes & raisins are toxic to dogs and even after eating just one can lead to acute (sudden) kidney failure and death.
Research has still yet to determine exactly what substance in grapes causes this reaction, but nonetheless grapes & raisins should be avoided at all cost.
What About Other Coloured Grapes And Other Grape Products?
Any kinds of grapes, red, green, purple, seedless, and even products made with grapes (currants, sultanas etc.) should never be eaten as they are all equally toxic to dogs.
How Many Grapes Will Make A Dachshund Sick?
All it takes to make your Dachshund sick is ingesting just one grape. In fact, only one grape is needed to cause acute kidney failure and be fatal.
In some cases, eating just one grape may cause less severe symptoms of grape toxicity than eating several.
Due to the smaller size of a dachshund, the more grapes eaten relative to their body weight, the more danger they are in.
Smaller dogs are at a much higher risk of grape poisoning from eating one grape than larger dogs.
So if your Dachshund has ingested even one grape you will want to be on the lookout for signs & symptoms of grape poisoning and contact your vet immediately.
Every dog responds a little differently to grapes. One grape can be deadly for some dogs, and others can eat dozens with no ill effect. There is no breed, age, or size that determines how they will respond so keep this in mind.
Here are some guidelines on what to do if your Dachshund ate a grape.
What To Do If Your Dachshund Ate Grapes Or Raisins
If you find that your dog has somehow got their paws onto a grape or raisin and ingested one, you should treat this as an emergency situation.
If you can get in contact with your vet, call them immediately to get instructions. You can also call the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661 or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 on the way to the vet’s office.
Do not try to induce vomiting if you have not been instructed to do so, and especially if you aren’t sure if your dog ate a grape or raisins.
In addition, do not induce vomiting if they are unconscious, having trouble breathing, or showing serious signs of distress.
Your dog may vomit on their own, but whether or not your dog vomits, you still need to go to the vet immediately.
If for some reason you cannot take your dog to the vet or you are unsure if they actually ate a grape, here is what vets will usually ask you.
Whenever I have asked vets “how do I know if I need to come to see you? Or “how do I know if my dog is really sick”, I’m always told to analyze my dog with a couple of these questions.
Is my dog acting different?
Is my dog eating and drinking water?
Can I get my dog excited?
How are my dogs poops?
They say If anything is unusual or “not normal” for your dog, you likely need to go see a vet.
However, In some cases symptoms are not always obvious so make sure to always go in for check ups as recommended by your vet and if you know they ate something dangerous (like grapes or raisins) it’s always best to see a vet.
If you are in a situation where you are unable to contact your vet for whatever reason, you will want to watch your dog closely for changes in their behaviour.
It’s always possible for dogs to have minor or no problems after eating a grape. However, if they are, the soon you can get to your vet the better. Untreated grape poisoning can lead to severe problems often within 72 hours.
When it comes to eating grapes or raisins, you will also want to look into the specific signs and symptoms related to grape toxicity.
Further Readings: Can Dachshunds Eat Bananas? 13 Things You Should Know
What Are The Symptoms Of Grape Or Raisin Toxicity?
If your dog ate a grape or raisin and you are in a situation where you are unable to contact your vet or go to the emergency hospital, here are some symptoms to watch for:
- Lethargy or weakness
- Seizures or tremors
- Excessive urination (usually early on)
- Anuria (urine flow stops, usually happens in later stages)
- Oliguria (small amounts of urine are passed, usually happens in later stages)
- Vomiting or diarrhea (usually early on)
- Abdominal pain (You can touch it to see how they respond)
- Oral ulcers
- Dehydration, including symptoms like heavy panting, a dry nose and mouth, pale gums, and difficulty breathing
- Lack of appetite
- Bad breath (uremic breath)
- Excessive thirst
If you know for certain they ate a grape or raisins and you start to notice any form of abnormal behavior it’s likely a sign that something is wrong.
Now if you know they ate a grape or raisin but nothing has really changed in their behavior, you might be wondering, “how long does it take for them to start feeling sick after eating one?”
How Soon After Eating Grapes Can a Dachshund Get Sick?
The most common early signs of grape toxicity is vomiting and seen within the first 24 hours following ingestion. In addition, you’re also likely to see a lack of appetite, lethargy, and diarrhea within the first 24 hour window as well.
Afterwards, between 24-48 hours you may start to see more severe signs, usually after kidney failure has already begun.
Kidney failure symptoms include:
- Lack of appetite
- Bad breath (uremic breath)
- Abdominal pain (when you touch it)
- Excessive thirst
- Excessive urination
Further Readings: Can Dachshunds Eat Apples? Health Benefits + Dangers
What Are The Treatments For Dachshunds Who Have Grape Toxicity?
The first step in treating grape toxicity is through decontamination. Your vet will try to induce vomiting to get the grape or raisins out.
Next, they will treat your Dachshund with activated charcoal to help absorb the toxins left over in the stomach.
Lastly, your vet will give them intravenous fluid therapy to flush the toxins out of the blood, while monitoring their kidneys through bloodwork.
Beware that your dog may need to stay hospitalized for up to 48 hours.
What Are Safe Fruits For Your Dachshund
Well now you know just how toxic grapes can be for you Dachshunds.
So what are some actual fruits they might enjoy and can actually eat?
Well we made a complete list of 27 fruits Dachshunds can and can’t eat. Check it out for more details on just about every popular fruit they can and can’t eat.